This September MSI International will celebrate our 25th anniversary. Hard to believe that we’ve been helping clients for that long. Or as we said at our 10 year anniversary – 10 years of asking better questions. When I started the company I had one goal in mind. That was to create a work environment where we could do great work for our clients and have fun doing it. I think we achieved our mission.
But seriously, 25 years is really a long time. Just to put this in perspective I looked into what else was going on when I founded the company. Some of this you may find amusing, but it definitely puts the 25 years in perspective.
- A first class stamp cost $.22.
- Bobby McFerrin won song of the year with “Don’t worry be happy”.
- Both the winter and summer Olympics were held in the same year.
- Popular films included Rain Man, Big, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Die Hard (the first) and my favorite – A Fish Called Wanda.
- Median price of a new home : $91,600.
- The democratic convention nominated Michael Dukakis as the presidential candidate. George Bush and Dan Quayle were the winning candidates from the Republican Party (spelling aside).
- The (first) Iraq war ended.
- Pan AM flight explodes over Lockerbie Scotland (our first real experience with terrorism).
I don’t know about you, but these events feel like they occurred decades ago, and I guess they did.
I’ve included an article that was in the Philadelphia Daily News just prior to me starting the company. Look at how young I was (and check out the doo – my hair wasn’t even gray let alone the white it is today). That’s 25 years staring you down right there.
In those 25 years MSI as a company has grown and we’ve grown with each other. We’ve laughed together and cried together. And we’ve also worked many a late night and weekend together – far too many bad pizzas to count.
And as I reflect on the past 25 years, probably the best testament to what we’ve accomplished is the longevity of our staff. Currently on staff we have:
- Seven co-workers with over 20 years tenure.
- And another nine with more than 10 years’ experience.
So as we approach this milestone I thought this would be the perfect time to say thanks. Thanks to our staff who worked so hard for our success, thanks to our families who tolerated our late nights and weekends and thanks to our many clients and friends who have supported us through these 25 years. You don’t achieve 25 years on your own, we did it together.